About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Connie. I love to write short stories, poems, novel drafts, blurbs, pretty much anything (even research papers). I've written my first novel titled "Me & Eryn Carlo" and editing is in the works! While the book is being groomed and tweaked I hope you enjoy the short stories I've posted here on My Writer's Block. Some are fun - some are quirky - some are just plain strange. Constructive criticism is highly valued. Thanks for stopping by. Your views mean so much to me!

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Bullied - A Short Story

I discovered a writing prompt in A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion and Lively Muse for the Writing Life (by Judy Reeves) that immediately made me think of the upcoming Bullying Awareness Week.

Bullying Awareness Week is November 13-19, 2011 and the bold theme is "Stand up! (to bullying)."

Learn more at www.bullyingawarenessweek.org

The writing prompt is: Write what happened between one moment and the next.

Here is "Bullied."

Being popular was like being on top of the world. You're untouchable as long as you keep status. If you were hot or had money or were popular by means of relation or association - it didn't matter - you were better than everyone else. I was captain of the senior football team. Good looking, smart, I had all of the newest technology, I loved to drink and hang out with my friends and the hottest girls in school. 

Senior year. It was exciting. It was a roller coaster.

That was then.

This is now.

I'm gay. I have felt this way for as long as I could remember but afraid to tell anyone since society's traditions dictate that it is wrong. It's allowed but its "not how its supposed to be."

My best friend and I were kicking it at a party after we won the homecoming football game. Everyone of importance was there. Everyone was trashed. My girlfriend and I had made out till she passed out upstairs. I continued to make my rounds with the people though. I had to keep my status strong.

While my friend and I sat talking he went on and on about how we'll always be friends. "No matter what" he said. No matter what, I thought to myself.

I was afraid but I told him. I came out and said, "I'm gay." Who would understand and accept me as I am outside of my family? My best friend of course! I was so confident he would be on my side.

And I couldn't have been more wrong.

He jumped away from me as if I were covered in some repulsive skin disease. He was disgusted by me - me, his best friend.

"Gay?!" He screamed it at the top of his lungs. Everyone at the party stopped to stare. The music was shut off.

I tried to get him to lower his voice but instead he grew louder and ridiculed me. People laughed. They pointed. They threw cups of beer or whatever they could find right at me. At me.

I was dragged out, beaten, called a "fag" or "fruitcake." I had become the weak, the lowly, the unworthy.

That was then.

This is now.

I used to have small fears. Fear of failing a test. Fear of losing the big game. Fear of not getting invited to the best parties. Fear of not hooking up with the most popular girls. Fear of not being able to keep my status rising high as girl-magnet, football captain, and homecoming King.

Now I fear bullying words. I fear school and the taunting. I fear the looks and the whispers. Sometimes I wish I would've kept up with my ruse - did what everyone expected of me.

The pain is so great at times. So great I cant bring myself to talk to my parents. So great that all I want is peace - a way out.

I fear the cruelty of my schoolmates, my "friends," that used to be my number one fans.

Maybe I should leave. Run away.

Maybe I should just die. I want the hurt to go away, to subside as did my life before I confessed who I really am.

I need help. Can't anyone see that?

I need someones help...

7 comments:

  1. Whoa. That was heavy, and the worst part is this type of thing happens all the time.

    Great writing, Connie. Enjoyed it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. Heavy stuff, and it's sad, because this kind of thing happens all the time.

    Great writing, Connie! I enjoy your posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Amberr! Unfortunately it happens too often - kids suffering just because they're different. I'm glad they're trying to build awareness for the bullying. And ~ I appreciate the compliment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it should be treated like racial profiling and have the same repercussions.
    This was so believable I had to check if you had someone guest post for you!
    Excellent writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya! The pressure kids are under just for being unique is unbelievable.

    Thank you Susie! I appreciate the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. excellent writing!

    ReplyDelete